Had an issue whereby defunct name servers were still appearing within the DFS console whereby trying to remove them, would indicate that “The system cannot find the file specified”. The reason is that there is an inconsistency with the namespace servers listed in AD. To resolve:
- Using adsiedit, locate the System\DFS-Configuration container within the domain space.
- Go into the properties of the DFS config file
- Locate the attribute remoteServerName
- Edit the attribute and ADD the name space server including the share path i.e. \\SERVER\Data
- Force AD replication across the site by opening a command prompt and issuing repadmin /syncall /AdeP (case-sensitive)
- Remove the name space server.
While i’m at it, there’s also a known issue whereby 2003 R2 servers will throw a 6002 error indicating the msDFSRsubscriberObject is invalid; this is a known issue and the hotfix is located at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953527. Please note, you’ll need to install this across all 2003 R2 servers participating in DFS. After installing, reboot.